Wednesday, September 3, 2008

We're Back and Better Than Ever

90210 returned last night. When we set our clocks back for Fall, I don't think they meant Fall 1994 - but OK, I will take a flyer. Of course, I have nothing first-hand to report since I didn't watch it yet -- 2 hours? Really? This one is going to have to wait a couple of days. But the early reviews this morning in the papers were clearly positive, which is a good sign. I plan to give this show a serious shot, but my current teen love drama money is still on 'Gossip Girl'.

GOSSIP GIRL, premiered Monday September 1, 2008
This was the 'what I did on my summer vacation' episode, and to be honest, it sort of sucked. Let's get these kids out of the Hamptons and back to the city where they belong. When they aren't in school, they are just playing grown-up in silly outfits saying silly things to silly music -- I will give them a pass on this one as I am just happy to see everyone survived the summer. If you missed it, Blair and Chuck love each other but can't admit it (at least Chuck can't). Serena and Dan missed each other and have rediscovered each other. Jenny was an intern, Nate banged some cougar, and Rufus is on the road with his band. By next week we can start senior year and I hope to never see Chuck in a green suit ever, ever, ever again.

MAD MEN, premiered about four weeks ago
This show is genius, the way Sopranos was genius. Its a slow moving character study that has no problem moving new and old characters in and out all the time. Sometimes a storyline is left for dead, other times we spend a whole hour with almost all new people. But the acting is so superb, the stories so well told, and the unintentional comedy off the charts. I love the fact that when Pete went to see the smoking fertility doctor, they discussed whether his standing near the Xerox machine could cause sterility.
The show is just hitting its stride this year and the critics love it. The same 1 million people who loved it last year are back too, so I am sure we will ride out a great second season with no worries about not getting a third. Thanks AMC!

GREEK, premiered on ABC Family two weeks ago
Ahh the college life. I miss it. These zany kids just keep getting into more and more trouble during Greek Week. You know what, if liking this show is a crime, I will do 8 to 10. I just channeled Gene Shalit for that one.

BONES, premieres tonight.
Watch it -- its the best procedural on TV and its very clever and very funny.

FRINGE, premieres on 9.8.08 on FOX
From JJ Abrams who brought you Alias and Lost, and FOX who brought you the X-Files --- Fringe is the X-Files meets Alias and Lost.

That's really it for now. Baseball is in high-gear every night, Football starts this week, the College game has already kicked off, and were getting some great early shows to get us ready for the big year. No more books, no more Criminal Intent reruns, no more late night conversation -- TV is back.

No comments: