Thursday, September 4, 2008

9021 Oh My God That was Awful

Seriously, I think I just might not have any more room in my early 30's brain for teen angst high school dramas. I just wasn't compelled. At all. I will give it one more week as a regular 60 minute drama, and then it goes into the can. Don't get me wrong, it had great moments of nostalgia, but that was about it. Here are my quick-hit thoughts:

-The new Brenda Walsh, Annie, is super cute and likable. She has a future.
-I didn't really like any of the other characters at all. Not memorable or likable.
-Hey everyone, its a character named Erin Silver. Quickly my brain opened the vault and within moments I shouted out "oh my god, I forgot that Jackie Taylor and Mel Silver had a daughter, Kelly's sister!" To which I then shouted out, "oh my god, how do I know these peoples names after 12 years, I don't even know the names of the people I work with."
-Oh look, Erin Silver has a video blog where she quickly whips up animated attacks of her school mates which characters show each other on their wireless traveling laptops. How cute, thanks for the concept Gossip Girl!
-Kelly Taylor looks awful. There, I said it.
-Brenda Walsh (Shannen Doherty) looks worse, there I said that too. She has more plastic and tightened edges on her late-30's face than my Honda.
-Great to see Nat, he runs a night club with underage drinking and a coffee shop. I wonder if Dylan or Valerie still have a share. Or did Noah end up as the owner? I can't remember all that.
-Hey everyone, its Andrea Zuckerman's kid doing the local school newscast. How cute. I laughed. Then the teacher says, "what is that girl, 30?" Then I laughed even harder at the shout out to us old-school fans who always wondered why Gabrielle Cartiers was 29 already when they started this show. Then I stopped laughing.
-Hey everyone, its Rob Estes as the dad....but wait, wasn't he some chef on Melrose Place? Yes, yes he was. Wasn't Melrose a spin-off of 90210 so they live in the same TV universe? Yes, yes they do. Shouldn't continuity count for anything in the TV business anymore? No, no it shouldn't. I don't really care one bit, I just thought I would point it out because its almost an interesting factoid.
-Back to Nat, same old Nat...man I missed him
-Jessica Walter was funny, Lori Laughlin was barely used at all
-I think that is about it, other than Kelly has a four year old son that is probably Brandon's, and all the characters on this show are awful.
-This viewing also solidified for me how good Gossip Girl really is. I think that is my limit for high school shows.

No comments: