Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Quick Mid-Week Observations...

This is premiere week coupled with Twins-WhiteSox week. I am going to be very tired by Friday, I can already tell. A couple of quick thoughts on some new and returning shows:

90210: I gave up. Gave up about 18 minutes into episode 3. Deleted episode 3 and a waiting #4 on the spot. That's it. Good night. Found out Kelly's kid belongs to Dylan. DELETE FOREVER. Someone page me on my beeper when Luke Perry decides to show up for one night.

Worst Week: My least favorite thing on TV are uncomfortable circumstances that could have easily been avoided with some common sense and simple communication. I know, I know, 90% of sitcoms and soap operas rely on this method to create storylines - call it the 'Diff'rent Strokes Approach', but Worst Week is an entire show built on the premise of nothing going right for the protagonist. Within 4 minutes I knew this might be the most impossible show to watch of all time. That was that. DELETE FOREVER.

Til Death: Yes yes, we're still watching. And guess what, it has become unwatchable. The original premise, of a young and old married couple living across the street from each other is long gone -- the young couple having been dismissed in favor of Brad Garrett and Joley Fisher and their new found token black friend JB Smoove (Curb Your Enthusiasm). I thought he was great as Larry's house guest. He is nails on a chalkboard this time around. DELETE FOREVER.

SVU: What? Luke Perry is working? And not on 90210 but instead on SVU as a sick rapist? And sick is an understatement for this episode. I think since Ice-T cut off his pony tail he has lost all his strength, but that might just be me. Welcome back SVU, I missed you. And hello to new young hot district attorney, we're glad you are aboard. With all respect to Diann Neil, something has been lacking since Stephanie March left to pursue a movie career that didn't happen. Someone page my beeper when/if she shows up on Cinemax.

Fringe: Love it. Two great jokes this week to lighten up the mood had me laughing out loud. When the Harvard freshmen interupted the brain surgery, and finally when Dr. Crazy realized he might be able to use the metal in his patients brain to steal satellite TV. This show is a litle gross, way out there, and super compelling. Each week's episode is stand alone, but they do a nice job of slowly building a mythology as well -- no time is wasted here. I really like Josh Jackson (eek) and the tall black dude from 'The Wire' is great. This is going to be a great show, in it for the long haul.

Bones: I am just going to say it. This season has sucked so far. Without Zach, the rythym is off. Sweets is a fine character, but he is on too much now. Its time for Booth and Bones to get together, it won't ruin the show, it will take it in a new direction because the current direction is on year four and I am getting bored with a show I really, really like. Come one Hart Hanson, shake it up some, will ya?

If you haven't listened to the Podcast yet, please do -- its actually pretty good (all things considered). There will be a new one on Monday following Anna Farris this week on SNL.

Tomorrow night is the return of 'The Office'. Color me fired up.

No comments: