Monday, September 8, 2008

Racial Profiling

Someone asked me today what 'House of Payne' was. They asked me because it turns out to be the number one rated program on cable, but it was unknown to them. I explained that 'House of Payne' is an African-American sitcom from Tyler Perry. The follow up question was two-fold: Who is Tyler Perry and does that mean 'How I Met Your Mother' is a Caucasian sitcom?

Firstly, Tyler Perry is a mega-successful, mega-millionaire who cranks out theater, TV, and movies about African-American families. You may have seen his 'Madea' movies -- think 'Big Mommas House' with a real story. You should read up on him via Wikipedia - he has had an interesting, challenging life, and he has become uber-successful.

Secondly, I guess I never spent that much time thinking about TV shows in terms of racial lines. I don't watch many of the WB/CW African-American-centric sitcoms because I don't really relate to them, nor do I expect 'Friends', 'HIMYM', or 'Gossip Girl' to appeal to many African-Americans. I think we all know the TV landscape does not 'look' like the real America. If you asked Asian-American, Hispanic-Americans, or those of Indian or Pakistiani descent, they might to inform you that TV doesn't look much like them at all. Oh sure, TV shows have gone out of their way lately to insert some ethnic characters, but how many of them have become leads? Very few -- Ugly Betty comes to mind as an excellent example of a mainstream hit whose lead is not 'white', but not many others.

I don't have a thesis, a point, or a lesson to teach here -- just commenting on an observation that was made to me. I do however believe that with the proliferation of genre-specific cable channels, we will come to find less and less diversity on mainstream television as non-white writers, directors, producers, and actors can find critical and mass success, for the genre they are writing/performing for, on cable. And channels like BET, TNT, TBS, etc. can take a chance on a genre-specific show because their ratings don't have to compete with the big boys.

Let me say this, I don't, have not, or ever will I turn off a show based on the race or ethnicity of the cast -- I choose my TV based on whether or not it provides with me the compelling drama, comedy, or entertainment I want. I am just as happy with a rerun of 'Family Ties' as I am with a rerun of 'Good Times'. That being said, you watch what you can relate to or what interests you -- and even if 'House of Payne' is a good and funny show, I am probably not going to watch it. I didn't grow up in a black family with 'the dominant black grandma', but somehow I do relate to Grace Adler's family issues on 'Will & Grace' It's not racist, it's just reality. Trust me, I don't expect the African-American community to embrace east-coast comedy like Will & Grace, Seinfeld, or Curb -- it probably isn't all that compelling.

I think there are shows that find common ground like Scrubs, ER, Lost, Law/Order, Ugly Betty, and more that I can't think of. But as I was typing this list, I will tell you that about 100 shows popped into my head and 99% of those casts and leads were white as snow. So someday I will figure out what that all means. Not today though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm just a 'someone' to you? Wow. Hurtful. At least I know where I stand, though.

Cancel cable. You know you want to.