Saturday, February 7, 2009

The Week That Was....

I love me some sweeps television. This month is already off to a great start with Lost, 24, Fringe, and Life on Mars all knocking it out of the park. This is too much fun and I hope when I am 75 and bored, TV is still this good.
I should first point out that this Dell desktop (circa 2002) doesn't like to work very well when you are burning a CD - so as I type this , the letters actually appear on screen about 10 seconds later. Oh the early 00's, when technology was still archaic.

MONDAY
HIMYM and Big Bang were both excellent this week. Barney's video resume probably sent 1000's of today's young off to their PCs to start working on their video tribute to their own careers. Lily and Robin are both pregnant in real life and Lily (Allison Hanigan) is getting harder to cover up, so kudos to the writing staff who created a plot around Lily's hot dog eating passion so we could see her in all her pregnant glory - so clever. I have nothing specific to point out on Big Bang other than the actors have become one with their characters and the show just totally flows right now. Sheldon's lack of concern regarding money vs. Penny's hang ups, was a nice role reversal of personality. And as usual, Howard and Raj rock.

24 -- I think I will wait until this week to comment. As I think I have explained before, the show basically works as three 8 hour arcs, and I think we are getting close to wrapping up #1 -- I like where its going, but it is really only just beginning. I assume we meet John Voight soon.

Gossip Girl -- I liked the ending. Good for Dan and the no-longer-fired (woops) English teacher...Serena is a nightmare anyway, too much baggage. As far as Chuck Bass and his 'Eyes Wide Shut' liason? Kind of dumb, although I appreciated how Nate and Vanessa happened to be playing the movie's piano driven score while Chuck tried to remember what happened to him. This is going to be end up being an awful B plot once it has played out. BRING CHUCK BACK TO SCHOOL.

TUESDAY
I watched a great SVU this week with Ron Eldard who I still call Shep since his days on ER driving the ambulance. Remember when he had his own show with Rob Schneider called 'Men Behaving Badly'? Didn't think so....well he played an ex-con trying to find his missing daughter and Burt Young was involved as well -- and ever since Pauly lost all of Rocky's money by giving it to Bernie Maddoff, I have been angry with Burt -- but he and Shep delivered a great episode of television.

'Fringe' is awesome -- I love Oliva and the Bishop family, and I love that the conspiracy is growing, but they haven't thrown it into our faces over the last few weeks - they are letting the show evolve while sneaking in just enough to keep the mythology-fans happy.

WEDNESDAY
'Lost'. Aside from the big reveal that Ben was the one looking for Kate's kid -- dumb -- the rest of this episode was great. As soon as the losties found that wreckage with the cargo written in French, I knew we were going to meet young Rousseau -- and we did, pregnant with Danielle. And Jin is still alive! Yeah! Should be interesting watching Jin try to figure out what the hell is going on. Meanwhile, back in LA, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz -- can't wait for this story to get interesting. Sawyer seeing Claire and Kate during the birth of Aaron was cool as well. This show just keeps firing (at least on the island).
NEW RIDICULOUS THEORY OF THE WEEK: Penny and Desmond are like Adam and Eve and their young son Charlie is actually Charles Widmore trapped in time. Wha? Huh? So Penny is the mother of her father? No thanks....next.

'Life on Mars' -- the conspiracy continues...who is making the calls to Sam, how does this person know he is trapped through time, what is this secret project he is a part of and why is it also written in Russian?
And most importantly -- does ABC think we are fucking stupid, playing episodes out of order? Really? I get what they did -- the episode from this week would have been the first episode watched by 'Lost' fans and it was heavy-mythology whereas last weeks ep which should have been this week's was more single-episode plot driven. I mean I get it -- its just BS and confusing, especially since this episode picked up where they left off in November...it took me like 30 minutes to figure out what the hell I thought I was missing.

THURSDAY
I didn't love '30 Rock', I'm not going to kiss its ass for the sake of doing so. It had its beyond clever moments - like everything between Tracy and the investment bankers - but I didn't love the John Hamm bit or anything involving Jack and Salma Hayek...maybe next week.

'The Office' is on fire (no pun intended) since the Super Bowl and this episode didn't let anyone down. I mean would a liar bring mini Mounds? I didn't think so.
Anytime I can listen to Michael Scott lecture and cringe on the inside througout, is a great episode for me.

FRIDAY
I fell asleep during 'Numbers'....so I will have to get back to you. I don't think there is anything else on Friday nights for people under 100 years old. Sorry Jennifer Love-Hewitt, but your fan club median age went from 15 to 112.

1 comment:

smith55438 said...

Maldo -

Thought you might like this...

TBone

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2009-02-06/gossip-girl-deathwatch/full/