Saturday, February 7, 2009

SNL Sucks: Bradley Cooper Edition

Wow. Watched this episode last night mere hours after watching Bradley Cooper on the big screen in 'He's Just Not That Into You...". I am sure his performance was fine, I sort of lost focus after he stripped and bent Scarlett Johannson over his desk.
What? I'm not allowed to enjoy a light romantic comedy? Like that scene wasn't inserted into the film as a thank-you to the husbands and boyfriends of America who get sucked into this movie and then at the end are left defending the male species, their own dating history, and motives within their current relationship? That is a lot to grasp in one night -- so seeing an 80 foot semi-nude ScarJo is sort of a peace offering I suppose.
I do recommend the film however.

So Brad Cooper was obviously excited to be on SNL, but as usual, the show failed on a million levels. Cold Open was fine, not funny ha ha, mostly fun uh huh, uh huh, yep yep, yes, yes...
They tried to give Brad Cooper a monolgue taking advantage of all the times he was caught on tape in the audience of 'Inside the Actors Studio' -- awful.

I am not going to go scence by scene, but we fast forwarded through much of it, painfully, and a little saddened as comedy keeps dying a slow death every week. The bit where the four guys tell gross stories then sing a chorus is always clever -- but not this time. The game show about the host having sex with the contestants wives? Funny for the first minute....
The Today Show skit was brutal. The Digital Short on the boat was....well I don't even know what it was...yeah Andy Samburg, you are on a boat....my god.
The news was pretty good this time around, Seth did a nice job with 'really' and even Keenan Thompson made me laugh. Then throwing it back to a Bjork joke? REALLY Seth, Bjork jokes? Really?
Then the final straw for me was the Johnny Lawrence bad guy talk show...all the makings of a classic...even Sense was behind the camera....and who do they go with? Hans Gruber and a half-ass impression of Glenn Close. I am sure 17 year olds across America were scratching their heads...I was and I grew up with that movie.

WHAT IS GOING TO SAVE COMEDY? From what I am told, its going to be this:
New Comedy Central Show premiering this Wednesday

1 comment:

Jackuul said...

I liked the boat skit - it reminded me of all the cheesy bullcrap music television videos about their cars, hos, and other things. Of that show I thought it was probably the only thing funny.

The only good SNL this year seems to have been with the Rock - and I give it a D - with one point above FAIL.