Thursday, October 23, 2008

Wednesday Night's Return of DirtySexyMoney

Once you pick up a season of a show on DVD it becomes like the last 50 pages of a great book, or perhaps Crack Cocaine. You can't get rid of it until its gone. Lauren and I experienced this with season one of DirtySexyMoney in which we knocked out 10+ episodes in three evenings. At least we didn't rock an all-night marathon like some have done with '24' and 'Lost'. So I guess our addiction was manageable. But now? Now we are in the methadone clinic of hell. There have been four episodes this year over 6 weeks, the show just doesn't play with the same excitmement that it once did. Perhaps it is because it is suffering a sophomore slump, or perhaps the writing and story lines just aren't as sharp. Uunfortunately I can't answer that for you, or me - because I am watching it differently now, so my context is shot. I do however still really like the program the characters, and the stories -- but the feeling of being compelled to the television just isn't there like it was on those three fateful nights this past summer.

Is there anything currently on TV so compelling that it remains 'night-of-broadcast' appointment television?
-'The Office', even in an uneven year I wait patiently for Thursday night
-'Fringe', I like where its going even as it has been losing its way a bit
-'Mad Men', although in all fairness, the last two are still sitting in the DVR awaiting me
'Life on Mars', you got me...now keep me
-'30 Rock', come back already
-'24', come back soon, hope the movie is good in a few weeks...
-Lost', come back soon

SOCIAL COMMENTARY HAVING NOTHING TO DO WITH TV
I listen to a lot of sports radio. Mostly national, but on the local front I enjoy most of the hosts on KFAN AM-1130. My fave is Barriero on the drive home, I have recently learned how to listen to Dan Cole and find the humor, and Hartman is pretty solid mid-afternoon. The morning show gets about 0.0% of my listening time, leaving PA and Dubay. It's exactly what you want from a couple of homers, some hardcore positivity about all thing local no matter how bad things are getting. I prefer the negativity, which is why a little change of pace can't hurt. I have always enjoyed Paul Allen, I think he is a great broadcaster, a great sports mind, master of the morning montage, and the first voice I will turn to when we win another title in this state. He carries his show masterfully (as well as Viking broadcasts). His parter, Jeff Dubay, to me was always along for the ride, but provided that 'rube on the street' take to sports. He was me, us, everyman. And now he is an admitted, arrested, former (or current) crack-addict. Honestly, I didn't see that one coming. Did you? It just doesn't fit the profile. A 40 year old Plymouth-living-Gopher-hockey-jersey-wearing-talk-sports-for-a-living guy gets himself addicted to Crack? I feel for him, his family, and his job -- but at the same time I don't. He's got the best gig in the world and he is smoking rocks out of a pipe. Maybe the Vikings drove him to it? Who knows...either way it is a sad story and I pray to god they don't move any of those morning show idiots into his seat. Find a fresh voice. Please.

No comments: