Sunday, October 12, 2008

Must See TV?

So we watched the premiere of 'Kath and Kim'. Is it a positive review to say that Selma Blair is kind of hot? I don't think this is breaking news, we all knew this about 10+ years ago when she filmed 'Cruel Intentions'. And I think if you have seen the movie then you are only thinking of one scene. And yeah, today that scene would get cut from an episode of a 7 PM show for being too boring -- but back then, in the good old days? Gold.
And really, that is all I have to say about Kath and Kim. Really.

Speaking of 'really'...SNL Thursday night was great. Slap some water on me, yes, it was great. The extended Weekend Update was very good, the 'Really' segment always gets me and this one was no expection -- I will miss Poehler a lot when she is gone. Spent Saturday night dining with a Kristin Wiig apologist, and he assures me she can carry this thing. She's not as versatile - I think it will be pretty obvious and glaring. Some of these dudes are going to have to step up, and yes I am talking to you Andy Samberg.

'Life on Mars' has not been watched by this guy yet, not a lot of TV time allotted to me this past weekend, what a waste I know. Most word-of-mouth reviews have been very positive, so I think we might have a winner here. This show was very successful in the UK, and it had a plan and an end date from the get go. The writers knew how long they had to tell a story, and they worked in into two short UK seasons. Here in America where the government does not pay for our TV, we don't get said luxury -- so the one thing that can really kill this show is success. If it keeps going, they will have to extend the story, and then folks...we get X-Files, Alias, and 'Lost' until they were able to do the unthinkable and land an end date.

QUESTION FOR YOU? Would you rather pay a tax to watch TV like in the UK, or do you prefer your advertising driven 'free' TV? The tax-for-TV model allows shows to make less episodes in an more movie-style formula. It seems to work pretty well for them. HBO attempts to model the short-runs, but like 'Curb', 'Entourage', and 'Sopranos' - they have no problem bleeding these shows dry.

No comments: