Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Season Finale Report Card....So Far

Here is the OP-EDTV schedule for the next week or two:

Today: Season Finale Report Card Part 1

Friday: Season Finale Report Card Part 2

next Tuesday: Fall Lineup breakdown and Links

next Friday: 'Lost' Finale breakdown

June-August: HIATUS

August 15: Why TV in the summer sucks and how the Twins are miraculously in first place in the Central


SEASON FINALE REPORT CARD (Part 1)

Saturday Night Live: B-
This show still sucks. Steve Carrell carried the show entirely (which was great), and I actually enjoyed the 'graduation' cold open. It was juvenile and easy, but I was up for a cheap laugh.
'Two A-Holes Karaoke' was terrible. That bit has played its course.
'Bloody CPR' bit was unoriginial -- but I guess it has been some time since they did the whole' just spray lots of fake blood around and when it gets in peoples faces, that will be hillarious'. I did like the Clinton/Obama face-split commerical (a la the NBA playoff commercials). Now that was very clever.
I also thought John McCain's appearance was forced, lame, and a little sad. Oh, and not funny.

The Office: A-
The minus was for the hour-long episode. As we've said many times before, this show works much better in a 30 minute window. But the opening scene where Jim paired his headset with Dwight's phone was genius. The new HR woman believing that Kevin is retarded was double genius, and Michael and Toby's farewell was quite enjoyable. It was nice to find out Dwight and Angela can still get it on.
A lot of people think there is too much Pam and Jim -- I actually think it has been played up just enough, but it has not dominated any episodes (which is great).

30 Rock: D+
I may have already broken this down, but the show has taken a huge dive since the strike. They have gone away from what worked -- Liz running a show among crazy people and circumstances, and her relationship with her mentor/boss Jack Donaghy. When those two become the butt of their own jokes and 'leave the nest' so to speak, the show sucks. I am sure they will correct it. I am not the only one who thinks this -- USA Today devoted almost an entire page to this problem.

Scrubs: D
NBC or the producers decided that they should run some episodes out of order and even though Kelso was retired, there he was back at Sacred Heart in the finale. The finale was a fantasy episode and I got bored and shut it off. I look forward to the move to ABC -- maybe they will give this show the respect it deserves. If the Kelso retirement episodes were the finale, then I would have given it an A.

HIMYM: A+++++

Maybe I am just happy that I think we finally met the mother. I hope we did. I am all for this creative choice and direction. I really liked this episode, enjoyed the 'miracle' flashbacks, and look forward to next year. This season was the best by far and will be hard to top next year -- but none-the-less, I am glad the show has gained momentum and was picked up for another season.

Gossip Girl: A

Extremely satisfying season finale. The Georgina story wrapped up within the first 15 minutes and had a very funny, enjoyable, and realistic conclusion. Watching Dan and Blair working together was great. Dan did the right thing getting rid of Serena, because she might be hot, but her drama just isn't worth it. I was glad to see Rufus and Lily together and will look forward to this storyline next season. And since everyone is going to play musical couples over the summer, then we will have a lot to work with for next year. I am glad we didn't get a cliff-hanger, and I am glad we got Chuck Bass back - damn he is totally awesome.

MORE LATER....

No comments: