Friday, October 19, 2007

Two Offices and 30 Rock

Lets get right to it. I loved this episode of The Office - you know, the one where Ryan was asking Michael to do a PowerPoint presentation and he hadn't yet loaded it onto his laptop. Where Michael taught us all the "Power - POINT", and I can now repeat over and over, "Click the start button, pull up the tool bar (that's what she said)." I even enjoyed the uncomfortable humanization of Michael at his other job, "I wonder what I would have been back home?"...where they lost me was at the Shrute farm. Sorry, I like Dwight as the office nut, and I can only assume his home life is odd. To see it through the eyes of the loving Jim and Pam was filler for me. But give me more Power-POINT, more Daryl and Miss Kapoor, more Scrantonicity II, and more Creed any day of the week....

30 ROCK IS GENIUS
I knew they still had it in them. That whole episode was genius top-to-bottom. What I would like to focus on is one line. One perfect throw away line that shows how clever, how smart, and how awesome this show really is and can be....
First, some history...there is nothing I enjoy more on TV than a little self reflexivity. When a show or actor can make fun of themselves and who they are, or how the show is percieved, within the context of the show. The Simpsons are really good at this, The Family Guy has had its moments (like the Robot Chicken Star Wars parody conversation between Peter and Chris was very well done). The OC characters once met the stars of the show 'The Valley' which was their own parody of their own show -- they were very good at milking the 'Valley' bit. I wish I had more examples off the top of my head -- I will work on it this weekend. But any time an actor mocks a prior performance in a subtle way is good enough for me. I am not sure where to classify this 30 Rock line, but it was just so fast, so simple, and so self aware that I stood up in bed and applauded. OK, I did this in my head - but you get the point.
So what was it? Did you catch it?
When Steve Buschemi (great performance) is asking Jack Donaghy if he has any skeletons in his closet, or relatives with skeletons, he mentions quickly in passing that his cousin Tim got caught fixing NBA games.
Loved it. Genius. Great writing. Great Tracy Morgan this week too.

I also saw that the Big Bang Theory got picked up for a full season -- good luck to them. I have watched all three so far and can tell you for a fact - they are out of material. Good night folks, don't forget to tip your waitress.

1 comment:

PhaniJ said...

Ed, I miss us tv. I get only 6 fucking channels with inferior content. I miss the us.