Sunday, April 5, 2009

Seth Rogen + SNL Sucks

The sorry state of this program deserves our attention. I quit after weekend update out of pure disgust and hatred. Every watch your once proud -- insert favorite sports team, tv show, or role model -- fade into a former shell of itself? A real-time caricature that won't end? This is getting ever worse.

Funny thing? I get a good laugh out of Jean K. Jean the French comedian. I think its hysterical...but I think maybe its only funny because it is so bad. Other than that, Seth destroyed a promising weekend update again with too much Rod Blago and WAY TOO MUCH Madonna/Jolie. I think the trick has always been the fine line -- how much of something is funny until it becomes tiring? To borrow a Malcolm Gladwell reference, what is the comedy tipping point from clever and/or hilarious to drawn out and boring?

Here is an example. Cold Open. Barry Obama is going to tell America which companies are no longer fit to exist under his administration. Funny. But 5 minutes of saying "Hanes, yes. Fruit of the Loom, no." Really? The bit grew tired fast and then kept going.

The other problem right now is the Andy Samberg 'fart/puke/shit/everyone is gay' that has become so prominent. I think the new mantra around SNL is, "when in doubt, just have two dudes make out. That kills. Worse case, shock em with filth"

Witness 'Fast and the Bi-Curious' and the worst worst worst Digital Short ever. I won't even try to explain it, but just know this, in Andy Samberg's world -- its hilarious for 'a boss' to have sex with a fish in a back alley, not to mention himself. Man, Richard Pryor must be so jealous of this young talent.

I digress. I am not a comedy writer (or much of a writer at all). I am however a 30 year watcher of SNL and someone who enjoys comedy. In both departments I am sad.

Also this -- the cartoon strip characters brought to life to lament the end of newspapers? Almost clever but not funny. I actually think when they did the EXACT SAME THING and brought the Broadway characters to life, it was much more funny.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude-I feel your pain.

I watched it in the '70's as a pre-teen and it was hilarious(so were the Steve Martin/Robin Williams/George Carlin/Richard Pryor albums that I listened too.) but then the word FART was funny as well for me at that time so...?
Early 1980's-funny but not as--still Murphy/Piscopo and Kazurinsky & short films on Video Arcade game addiction therapy,etc. made it worth the while. So did Murray and Ackroyd and Belushi movies in that time frame.

Mid to late 1980's: BLECHHH!

Short-Crystal-Carvey-Lovitz had moments (and Lovitz-I mention his name because...it's expected).Yet the guys at school seemed to resemble these adults on television a little too remarkably for my comfort.
That and the oregano that I was buying seemed to take the joy away at that time.
A few years later when I'm done buying oregano ever again I don't watch it as much yet I'll never forget Steve Martin jumping in front of the camera prior to a May telecast to announce Gilda Radner's demise.
A couple years after that and it's gotten funny,smart and hip-to a degree-all over again.
Myers-Carvey-Hartman-Sweeney-Sandler-Meadows-I'm trying real hard here-Spade-Farley-Rock-Schnieder-Hooks-Nealon-and the characters are memorable again!

Mid-1990's: Misogynistic and dull(except when Quinn and MacDonald actually get into it on camera).
This is what Howard Stern is for-laughter relief.

I was hanging around some Chicago comedy clubs at this point and got to witness first hand up-and- comers Fey/Poehler/Koechner (several times)/McKay/Dratch and a few others.
Personal favorites who-somehow,why I have no idea-hung around and closely performed with Poehler and Fey are Matt Besser,Ian Roberts and Matt Walsh-funny guys who will get their comedic due and who have made projects and movies and teach improv craft still.
Look for Besser on Comedy Central-I believe that a new show of his is airing this year( he was a band member in the Dewey Cox Walk Hard movie).
Walsh and Roberts are supporting cast players in some future movies and may have another of their own coming out within a year.they did UCB movies and a shows on Com. Central.
(Most info. here is from Wikipedia-but I did get to see these guys perform on stage-anyone could at the club after a certain hour-I took a class or two from Besser and got to hang out with them once in awhile in the mid '90's).

Back to the orig. subject: late 1990's?
Funny again with the fresh faces and these people are my age so I 'gets' to identify.
Early millenium:not watching as much-

I.FEEL.OLD.

-and I'm listening to NPR and hitting the galleries and museums and art cinema houses since I went to art school.
I'm not enthused about Fey(can be funny- inconsistently not my brand of humor)or Poehler(don't get it)as much.
Like Armisen and Samberg(reminds me of Franken) and some of the others. Funny when Baldwin AKA Tony Bennett hosts & Bill Brasky et. al.
Past it's time-never should of become an institution since that was where alot oof the irreverance was aimed at from its inception.
This show was created to fill that 10:00P.-1:00A. vacuum that has occurred in 1973,'74,'75.
The one that was filled with the nightly news repeats or whatever weekday VARIETY repeat that the network was filling it with.

I'm older (slightly) now and I witnessed way too much B.S. at the club when I hung there.
Believe me show business isn't democratic/fair when it comes to selecting those with talent,enthusiasm and a true perspective to offer.
Fey worked hard to get where she is and it wasn't handed to her-from what second hand info. that I know about-but it sure didn't hurt that she was a female and she seemed quite tight with a guy (of American-Greek ethnicity) who was well known at this club (I'm uncertain how close these two actually were since I viewed this from a distance-but I can 'read').

Point is you know the name Fey but not this guy's name.
Some of the others that hung there were somewhat prejudiced as well-which isn't what I believe cutting edge progressive satire is about. Doesn't define it for me.

Second point is that it was a rush to get on stage after hours and goof off with amatuers like myself and pro.'s and soon-to-be's.

Third point: SNL ain't.

Last point:I need to stop.
My nose is telling me that it's time for a pick.

Hope I didn't use too much of your 'net space with this.

Thanks for the posts!

katty said...

What the hell are you talking about? It's Seth Meyers on Weekend Update NOT Seth Rogen. Seriously you have no idea what your talking about, and what's worse, you talk about it (write about it) in such a poor manner. Please turn off your computer and check your self into a nursing home. okaythnksbye!