Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Romantic Comedy Update

I saw one. In the theater no less. But its ok, my parents had the kids, so I didn't have to justify the price of the movie, an 88 oz. Diet Coke, and a babysitter -- just the tickets and the texas-sized thirst quencher.

Breaking news: I no longer can drink 124 ounces in one movie sitting like I used to.

We saw 'Definitely, Maybe' and I am going to recommend it - to boys and girls. Here is why:
1. As far as this genre goes, its not very sappy
2. Abigail Breslin from Little Miss Sunshine is great
3. Ryan Reynolds is normal-enough that he doesn't chew up the scenes and is actually pretty good in this film. The last time I saw him was 'Van Wilder' - so this is an improvement. Actually, that's a total lie -- he was also pretty good in 'Smokin Aces' which is a total guy film and kind of rocked.
4. 2 of the 3 love interests are pretty frickin hot. Obviously Isla Fisher is great to watch on screen. How that woman ended up with Borat is beyond my comprehension, but I know she looks good in a mini-skirt circa 1992. Rachel Weisz looks great as an academic...I can do without the girl who plays J.D.'s baby-mama on Scrubs. Don't like her here, don't like her there.
5. Reynold's character went to UW-MADISON....Hello gratuitous movie scenes 'in Madison' with Bucky all over the damn place followed by Reynolds wearing a Badger T-shirt in pretty much every scene when he is casual. Yeah, I was the ass hole clapping in the movie theater when the screen said 'Madison, WI'. You bet.
6. Good music.

That is my review. Take it or leave it.

Here are some TV Notes as well kind readers:
-'Welcome to the Captain' is a terrible show. One and done.

-Lauren says 'Lipstick Jungle' sucks. We'll take her word for it. She had a great observation the other day. She said, "look at the screen -- its not a pretty show. Its not colorful, its not fun. Its dreary and it sucks." I am paraphrasing.

-'Notes From the Underbelly' continues to suck, BUT...if you have kids or had kids, the stories ring kind of true which makes the show half-endearing. I equate this show to car commercials. When you need a car, you start to notice every single commercial. When you don't need one, you probably don't even notice when they are on. This show is the same way...if it makes sense to you, then its worth watching. If kids are not your bag, then you might as well be watching 'Dangerous Catch'.

-The 'Las Vegas' season finale was stupid. Yes, that was the season finale. I do want this show to come back because like all my ladies, its easy and pretty. But I guess I won't miss it all that much if I never see it again.

-Still haven't started Eli Stone, but it stares me down every night on the DVR. At this point its almost starting to feel like work.

-Why am I up? Because Tessa is watching Aladdin at 12:36 AM because somehow she slid herself under the bed tonight and has no interest in going back to sleep or watching Keith Olbermann or tonight's 'New Adventures of Old Christine'

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.