Wednesday, February 27, 2008

8 years past Quarterlife...

What happened? I'm not saying I was ever hip or cool, but at least I knew what it was to be. I could identify all the major pop culture players in music, tv, and film. I could name every video on MTV before the song information appeared in the bottom left corner.
I gave up on popular music after college. I just pretty much stopped listening to the radio and only picking new artists who were recommended to me by people, not SoundScan playlists. I stayed with TV natch, but even I can't even begin to tell you anything about most niche cable or urban CW-based programming.
And now -- I couldn't watch Quarterlife on NBC last night - and these kids are only supposed to be 25! I know this generation, I am related to members of this generation, I work with some folks from this generation -- but that doesn't mean I get it. I felt so old last night watching these self-important, pour out your heart to the whole world on the internet, youth trying to make their way. They spend way way way too much time concerned with their place in the world and where they belong. And way way way too much time trying to rebel against ideals that I am pretty sure my generation and the rest of the X'ers before me just dealt with.
We took jobs and said please and thank you. We were happy with raises and promotions, and came into this world with some semblance of loyalty. We went into the machine to make our way, we didn't expect the machine to re-program itself for us.
Sorry, for a minute there I thought I was writing for Rolling Stone. All I meant to say is that I didn't like the show Quarterlife. And according to ratings, neither did anyone else. Only 3+ millions self-important 20-somethings tuned in for their version of 'Reality Bites'. And as I remember, even Winona didn't take herself too seriously.

Also - we turned off 'New Adventures of Old Christine' the other night. Julia's character has officially jumped from funny but sad to downright annoying and unwatchable.

No comments: