Wednesday, January 2, 2008

OBSESSION COMPLETE

Like any good writer, I live up to my written promises. I came down here to Florida prepared to immerse myself in the works of Diablo Cody, and now the mission is complete.

-Read Candy Girl
-Saw Juno
-Read about 85 reviews of Juno
-Read about 10 articles about Cody from LA Times and StarTrib
-Overhyped Cody at dinner to about 20 people over 7 days as if she was my sister

Candy Girl rocked. I laughed, I cried, I got physically ill when I found out what my 'neighbors' are doing behind closed doors at SexWorld. It was a very good and quick read, took about 2 total sittings, and was very interesting and entertaining. I don't think you have to have been a patron at any one of the establishments where BonBon or Roxanne worked, but it doesn't hurt. I recommend this book to anyone.

I don't need to be the 10,000th person (critic or common man) to expound on how awesome Juno is. Anyone who told you that the film is anywhere from palatable to outstanding is correct, and anyone who told you it sucked, or made up some story about the dialogue being too preachy, too cerebral, or unrealistic...well they just wish they could have written something that clever, funny, and heartwarming. Wow, I sound like Roger Ebert. Get me a sandwich.

I also found out through several articles that Cody wrote the movie at the CRYSTAL SUPER TARGET. So there goes my Plymouth story...and its like selling a house - once you know the truth, no more lying.

I put just under 35 golf balls in the water this past week, a new personal record. And then I bought some second-chance balls from the local supermarket (at this point I am not going to be paying a premium for such disposable items) - could have sworn that half the box were mine from earlier this week. Also got my ass beat down at tennis by my brother this morning as a solid reminder that I am out of my element -- I need to get back home, in front of the TV, ready for the winter strike-laden season. Bring on the mid-season replacements!!!

No comments: