Sunday, January 20, 2008

I think These Are My Non-Football Thoughts...

"I think these are my non-football thoughts' is how Sports Illustrated's Peter King begins the final 10,000 words of his weekly football column. He talks about TV, movies, travel, his family, coffee, and whatever else Peter King wants to talk about between cell phone calls with Antonio Cromatie and Ronde Barber. I think I will borrow a little of that as I stay away from TV and tell you that...

Brett Favre giveth and Brett Favre taketh away. Even though his defense did him absolutely no favors most of the second half, he still got himself to overtime and won the toss. And the thing is this with Favre, and we all know it -- if he marched his team 80 yards down field for the game winning score, we wouldn't have been surprised, the fact that he threw a pick on the second play -- also not surprising in the least. I would do anything (figuratively speaking) for a stable kick-ass football-loving QB like Favre, and a stadium that rocks the house like Lambeau. I am totally bummed out they are not going to the Super Bowl. I come from the root for your division and your rivals once your ass is done school. I even rooted for Michigan in the Cap One Bowl because I am so sick and tired of the pundits ripping the Big Ten to shreds. On any other given Saturday or Sunday, those two teams should get their collective asses embarrassed and then some --but not in this situation. A lot of people disagree. That's fine. Life is short.
All I am saying is that Favre is a god and even Vikings fans know it. But what he does to win games is the same thing that causes them to lose -- he is revered because of his cowboy ways, and tonight it bit him in the ass. I was looking forward to Favre v. Brady man-crush stories for the next two weeks on ESPN. Now I have to live with Peyton vs. Eli debates. Fuck. What else is on?

Breaking news -- The Timberwolves continue to suck. And badly. They are finding new and creative ways to lose games. Last night they led by 4 in Denver with a minute to go and could have iced the game twice -- they lost. Its OJ Mayo time baby! But we here in the great white north know exactly how this works...the Wolves get jacked into the 4th pick while Miami picks up Mayo and someone else gets Love, Beasley, and we get Eric Gordon. Not that he isn't a good little player -- but that's exactly what he is. I have laundry piles bigger (and older) than him. (Insert your which one smells worse after a game joke here).

Took Max to see a Wolves game. I promised him fireworks and excitement during player intros. Yeah, I didn't get the memo that the Wolves ran out of money already. Me and the other 2000 fans at Target Center were treated to an opening matching the worthiness of the players it was intended to introduce. Brutal. Max not fired up. He also wanted to know where the male cheerleaders were and when the girls would be thrown in the air. I told him he wasn't going to see that here. He wanted to go home. Baby steps....Baby steps.
How empty and sad was Target Center you ask? Max decided (as he always does), that a nice public place like the Center was a good place for a #2. That's right -- #2. So we hit the head and lets just say this -- Max likes to take his time, so we spent a good portion of the second quarter talking about why they have three roles of toilet paper lined up in the box, and why someone needs a key to come and change the roles. Not one person came into the restroom the whole time -- not one. I could lie and tell you they were caught up in a game matching two teams with a combined 11 wins, but no -- they were at home making better use of their time.
We left at halftime, it was a good experience for the boy and we'll come back in a few years -- along with the fan base. It's sad. It is -- and we all knew it was coming and were ok with it. KG had to go, if not now, he would have left us with nothing -- it was the right thing to do. That being said, doesn't make it any easier. Not one bit. When do pitchers and catchers report? And which pitchers....argh, lets not get started on that one yet.

Couple TV notes and I will get out of here...watched the first 2 hours of the 'The Jewish Americans' -- really well done. Even my non-Jewish PBS-loving friends have been riveted -- and they all said the same thing -- "I wish Ken Burns had done the WW2 documentary this well -- because his sucked."
The new Law and Order cast rocks as have the first four stories -- its finally must see procedural TV again.

No comments: