Sunday, March 2, 2008

Saturday Night Live Sucks

It sucks so bad.

You should read some of my recent SNL Sucks Rants....just click to the Op-Ed Homepage and boy will you find some rants, and not this old one about an Ellen Page episode from a year ago. It sucked back then and its even worse now (02/01/09)

I tune in or TIVO SNL every week hoping, just hoping, for a break-through performance. Now don't get me wrong, there is an occasional diamond in the ruff, and no one is happier to see them than this guy -- but overall, they just don't seem to get it. I never, ever thought I would miss Tina Fey this much.

Let's break down this weekend shall we?
-Opening skit is a re-run basically of last week's 'the media loves Obama'. Great, how creative....this of course leads into a guest appearance by Hilary Clinton pretending to be in on the joke when clearly she is crying inside. You have to have some very, very thick skin to watch Amy Poehler, acting as you, telling America that a vote for Hilary is a vote for a woman whose annoying/grating personality alone will wear down foreign leaders.
I am glad Hilary appeared - it means that SNL continues to stay culturally relevant - at least for now. Overall, the opening bit goes from an F to a C+ once Clinton shows up to open the show. It should be noted that an odd cameo from Vincent D'Nofrio during the opening bit was just plain odd and somewhat uncomfortable.

Ellen Page comes out and does her monologue and is interrupted by Andy Samberg as Diablo Cody. It was a hillarious impression. Too bad it was stolen almost directly from an internet video of a Diablo impersonator that has been circling for a few weeks now.

First sketch out of the break? 'The Dakota Fanning Show' Wha Wha Wha? What is this? Studio 60? Seriously - I guess the joke is that Dakota is really smart and wise beyond her years. Who gives a shit and who was in on the joke? 8 people in Hollywood? It was a disaster.

Next I believe was a Bob Smigel 'TV Funhouse' cartoon of Obama trying to rid himself of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. It wasn't too bad, Smigel is great.

The digital short was so odd and confusing that I stopped paying attention. There was a sketch about going to school to learn how to say funny office lingo, but again they blew it. They went safe and simple instead of throwing out hardcore 'buzzword bingo' which could have been clever, biting, and outstanding. Maybe there is a demographic of SNL viewers who think its a gas to see people say "I will take that file".

Weekend Update please save me.....no. Not this week. Nothing too good and Rudy Gulianni got off the only good line when he said what everyone has been thinking..."My campaign was like an SNL sketch. Starts strong and then has no ending"

Hopefully the writers were listening to what they wrote for him.

CELEBRITY APPRENTICE
We're still watching believe it or not. I think I will actually post a few words about this season when we are down to the final three.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

the cartoon was lame, but the digital short cracked me up. also the peter pan thing. sure, it's been done before, but it was still funny this time.

in other news, wilco was genius. you know i'm right.

Anonymous said...

tv funhouse is the ONLY thing that should be spared.
not only should these writers be fired, (they went on strike because they wanted more money?!? how about EARNING it instead!) these writers need to be horribly murdered in a gruesome and bloody scene. I've watched things on CNN that are funnier than the crap these writers are putting on.

Anonymous said...

Amy Peoler needs to remove herself from Hillary Clinton's ass.

She could have had a really funny sketch last week about the Bosnia "mispeaks" - similar to what they did to Kerry flip flops, but instead she continues to use the "press is against Hillary" theme. Quit camaigning and start writing comedy.
I won't be watching SNL anytime soon.
Tina Fey can bite me as well.

Anonymous said...

UPDATE! Oct. 16, 2008... SNL still sucks. The writing sucks... the actors suck, and the material has moved so far to the left/liberal that it isn't even humorous to watch. Never ever going to ever again waste any of my time on any NBC show... period. And MSNBC (or better said "BSNBC" is the same way.

Anonymous said...

Who was this guy? This is starting to be the lamesest show on late night. Boy, do you guys at SNL suck.

Anonymous said...

There are 4 anonymous remars on here that you have posted, why don't you post my remarks?

Anonymous said...

OK,another liberal media center.........you folks suck!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

yeah i have to agree - SNL absolutely sucks. i might be able to tolerate their flaming liberalism if it was actually funny, but it isnt. it's not witty or clever by any stretch of the imagination. it's nothing more than crappy wanna-be actors reading a crappy script from a teleprompter like stoned-looking actor-zombies. (if i have to use another hyphenated word or sentence to describe how bad SNL sucks - im going to shoot myself)

Anonymous said...

To quote Seth Meyers from the last funny skit I've seen on SNL, SNL sucks in three specific ways: so bad, wicked bad, and really bad. With the boring liberal bent the show has had for too long, it's just not funny anymore. I DVR it, but end up speeding through most of the skits to Weekend Update, which hopefully doesn't suck too much.

Anonymous said...

I am watching it right now and your blog was the first to come up when I typed in: "saturday night live sucks so bad right now." in google. The show is terrible now. It's so awkwardly bad that I have to divert my attention to something that isn't a complete disaster. I remember the days I would have probably fallen off my seat because it was so hilarious. I miss those days. :(

Anonymous said...

its so bad the studio audience doesnt even laugh. its an entire cast of steve parnells. the new fat guy is good. also its disgraceful that keenan is the "black guy".

Anonymous said...

SNL writers still suck, how does this show survive?

Anonymous said...

Why is Saturday Night Live still on TV? It sucked 25 years ago and it still sucks. Did you see Will Ferrell's Harry Carey on 6/13/09? I dont know what shocked me more, the horrible bit, or the amount of people laughing.