Friday, March 7, 2008

LOST BREAKDOWN: Week 6

They really fooled me at the start, I thought Juliet had made it off the island until Tom showed up. Kudos to you 'Lost' and your ever changing flashbacks, flashforwards, and time-travel flashbackforwardthingees.

I pretty much enjoyed everything with Ben and Locke - those two are fabulous together. We got a lot of answers tonight and we got some good answers and backstory to the Tailies and Goodwin. Michael Emerson is fantastic and his delivery is flawless.
But I am not so sure about the show going in the direction of Ben's infatuation with Juliet drives his motives. Are we to believe everything he's been doing is out of love for a woman who is not interested in him? Come on. It seems like Ben would be above that. But again, its 'Lost' so you can't look at one episode and make a judgment, you need to see the whole picture.

I am calling this episode a 'mcguffin episode' -- this is the same in '24' when Bauer can't fight every week, sometimes you just need to advance the plot a little in order to get things moving again. And we had some plot devices uncovered this week:

-The Freighter folk aren't really 'bad', like 'killer bad'. But they do think Ben is that way (and that evil) and knew of the gas on the island. How? Maybe Ben's inside man who was captured?

-As stated before, Ben has a deep thing for Juliet which does explain his motives and actions sometimes and might give us a glimpse of why Jack is so distraught in the future? Maybe Juliet sacrificed for Jack by becoming Ben's love slave? Its possible if this show was on Cinemax.

-Chuck Widmore is behind the freighter and is looking for the island. Desmond related? Blackrock related? I assume the latter is the the reason, he probably has no idea his daughter is looking for the island as well...but wait, now I remember that Nessa from Las Vegas was holding the picture of Penny and Des...so I take that back. Here is what we do know -- Widmore bought the painting of the Blackrock and the ships diary at auction -- owned previously by the Hanso family (explains how Dharma found the island). That could have begun his fascination, years before Desmond crashed there. Everything on this show is one big coincidence that most likely will just be dismissed as 'thats life'.
So we got some answers here and now will learn more about what Widmore wants with the island and what his problem is with Ben Linus. It might be Dharma payback, if Widmore was an investor. Good times.

-Ben is going to tell Locke who his man on the boat is. I assume its not Michael. Too Easy. Because you know what, that is too obvious and Locke would not need to sit down for that one. So personally, I cannot wait for the shocker next week. It won't be Michael, I promise you that. Eko? Boone? Hmm...they were buried. I give up guessing, I am just excited to be surprised.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree, pretty solid episode. I know we had differing opinions on the level of genius of last weeks episode, so I was 95% I would be disappointed last night but I wasn't. I think it was mostly due to Juliet in the bikini top. Still can't believe she's 38.

I have to disagree with your statement

"Everything on this show is one big coincidence that most likely will just be dismissed as 'thats life'."


I think the main revelation and purpose of the show is to reveal almost the exact opposite. I believe they will display how what is commonly interpreted as coincidence and 'life', is actually something much deeper. They will show from the very beginning how everything that happened to get these characters to this point was a result of purpose not chance.

FATE