Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Interview Process

Someone at work told me this morning that they are interviewing both new medical dramas - 'Three Rivers' and whatever the new nurse show is. I liked that take on watching new shows, it really is an interview process. That being said, here are the candidates whose resumes I have seen thus far:

-Melrose Place: Got the callback for a second interview, but mostly because it was pretty to look at, wasn't too offensive, and reminded me of someone I hired in the past. (Get it? Hired in the past? This analogy is really taking off....). Although I called for a second and third interview, they may be clogging the DVR for quite awhile until I decide how else to hire.

-Modern Family: Hired. One episode, pure comedy genius. Racially, ethnically, and sexually uncomfortable and possibly offensive. Perfect. Great cast. Good to see Ed O'Neil again back as the patriarch with flaws, and I love the gay couple.

-Glee: Hired. I am not interviewing any 1 hour dramas this year, that department is not only full, but its overstaffed at this point. But there is always room for light-hearted simple dramedy. And set in high school with cast members whose average age is clearly 26? Sign me up.

CONTRACT EXTENSIONS:

-The season premiere of 'Old Christine' was laugh out loud funny again. As I have said for years on this blog, I don't want to like this show, I don't why I laugh so hard, but this show is so well written and so well acted, I can't let it go. If I was still working this analogy, I would say that Christine is the employee who you can't believe got hired, you don't know what the appeal is, you don't want them around, but damn...they sure do a good job.

-'Castle' and 'The Mentalist' are back as the zany crime solvers with a quirk...there are so many of them now - writers, psychics, mind readers, mediums, rich people, manics...it is hard to keep them straight. What I do know is that the two I am keeping on board kept me entertained in 2008-2009, and they get one year extensions. Lets hope against the sophomore slump, because the DVR is already filling up.

-'Fringe' second season premiere was awesome. Tonight should help set the tone for the season. It's not too late to join, and if you need to me fill in the backstory, just let me know.

-'Dollhouse' comes back tomorrow night. I am so excited but afraid I won't enjoy it as much as Season 1 because I was able to watch it all in 2 weeks...As I have said before, once a show is watched consecutively and quickly, its hard to go back to watching a season over 40 weeks...but hopefully this show will sustain the momentum I think it has.

I have an interview tonight with 'FlashForward' - based on the all the kudos coming out from critics, I think this one will be hired on site.

No comments: