Friday, September 28, 2007

At Least it was only Merideth...Thank God

I have been waiting for a new episode of ‘The Office’ for so long now that I am pretty sure they could have just filmed them eating lunch and I would have found it hysterical. So I am not sure if my opinion today is skewed or not, but either way – I loved it.

Personal highlights include:

-Michael’s announcement regarding Merideth’s accident and who hit her

-I don't think you understand Jeopardy... I'm sorry... What is "we're fine"

-Kevin

-Stanley

-Creed

-Pam walking in on Michael changing

-“I didn’t see the beginning but I saw where it ended”

-5K = 5000 miles

-Andy’s nipple protectors which didn’t work so well by the end

-Religious beliefs breakdown

This show can really do no wrong for me these days. Count me one of the few million who are very happy to have it back on the air. If you didn’t see the summer vacation interviews which aired at the end of last weeks re-run, I am pretty sure its on YouTube somewhere.

We are in the glory days of single-camera sitcoms and I for one am glad to be a part of it. Once 30 Rock and Scrubs comes back, NBC Thursday night will be officially legitimate for the first time since the late 80’s/early 90’s. Think about it…when was the last time all 4 comedies were great – all four of them? For every Friends and Seinfeld and Night Court and Cheers and Cosby and Family Ties, there was a Single Guy, Veronicas Closet, Suddenly Susan, the one where the four guys lived together with Seth Green, the one with the Brecken Meyer who constantly had sports highlights playing in his head, Union Square, and the list goes on. Fact is, from Earl through 30 Rock – this could be the most creative, clever, smart, and FUNNY group of sitcoms in history. Good times all around.

One last thought on the Office, and here is what I didn’t love so much - when they extended to 40 minute super-sized episodes last year, it felt a little forced at times. When they do 30 minutes, it always leaves you wanting more. But a full 60 minutes made it seem just a bit too long with certain scenes dragging out just enough to make me notice – and that’s not good. Not that I won’t take an hour, trust me, I will. I’m just saying that there is something about containing that show to 30 minutes that makes it perfect.

I didn’t get around to Earl, DirtySexyMoney, Big Shots, Mad Men, or Gossip Girl yet. The pressure is getting to me I think.

Final notes for the weekend – I highly recommend Mad Men on AMC if you are not watching that – all episodes are available On-Demand. This show is so smart, so interesting, and so well filmed and edited. It is about the Ad Agency business in New York in the early 1960’s and I find it pretty fascinating. The acting is top notch and the historical references and male-female interactions are very fun to watch. Of course it’s no WW2 documentary, but it is not a bad look at office workplace dynamics during the time. Try it.

Please note, as stated in earlier posts, there will be no breakdown of any medical dramas or dramadies here. Only Scrubs which I believe still qualifies as a sitcom. I also do not watch Reality TV (except Beauty and the Geek which is quickly dying for me). If you need a recap of The Hills, Rob and Big, Newport Beach, Two-a-Days or any other MTV/VH1 show, I have a couple of friends who collectively hit them all – I will see if they can’t get something going in the comments sections for you.

3 comments:

Daddy Hoffman said...

Good job Ed. Your kids better not miss bath time for this. I've been waiting for a column from you since Humor Me. Go Royals.

Anonymous said...

andy nipple stuff was a low point. shark out of water, looks as tho it may jump. you know i'm right.

Anonymous said...

Ed loved you office recap. I thought it was great. Really excited about the Ryan twist coming this week.
One thing i need to say from this week forward they better not get to deep with Jim and Pamela. Really getting old. ED you missed or did not like sprinkles. WHAT that was the highlight. I thought we could see nore Toby (the satan line was great) the hit was great. Andy better sing a lot this year. (that is all he good for) Phyllis looked good also.